For designer, drawing tablet is like weapon and armor for warrior. And like a warrior, a designer must carefully choose which drawing tablet is the most suitable for him or her.
A perfect drawing tablet will help you create your best piece of art without needing to have annoying technical problem. It’s a sound investment for your career.
A drawing tablet should always fulfill the needs of its user. So, the first thing you should do when you want to buy a new drawing tablet is understand what you will need it for, as specific as possible.
Do you need to use it for designing, painting, coloring, or even drawing? Some brands and even some models are strong in one area and weak in another, so you must carefully think about it. Also think of the possibility to do more work in the future. A drawing tablet is not something you buy once a year. In fact, good quality tablets should last up to five years, even more.
So, how can you find the perfect drawing tablet for you among all the choices? We have six criteria to help you narrow your choice.
1. Quality:High quality tablets won’t break down after several uses, without serious reason. High quality tablets will be able to perform exactly what you expect it to do. Sometimes you may need to bring your drawing tablets out of the studio, and you don’t want a tablet that can easily break or crack.
Get advice from fellow designers. Check designer of your level – beginner or professional – and take notes of what brand and model they use. Read some reviews online won’t hurt as well, just so you can get some ideas on which one is praised the most and which one is it that everybody told you to avoid.
Aside from durability and reliability, always check for a tablet’s pressure sensitivity. There’s nothing more frustrating than working with low quality tablets that make your work look less professional, or stretch your worktime just because you can’t seem to make that line looks how you want it to be.
2. Compatibility: Most of drawing tablets are compatible with Windows. If you’re Mac or Linux user, you still have quite wide selection of brands and models.
But it’s always better to choose one that is compatible for all three OS, because you don’t know if you have to switch one day.
3. Support: Even if you’re an expert at design, you’re no expert at technology. There will always some questions pop out on your mind when you use your drawing tablet, like can I do this technique with my drawing tablet? Or what’s wrong with this drawing tablet?
That’s why having a reliable tech support is important. Make sure the brand you choose have customer service line or online forum where you can ask them about technical problem.
Support doesn’t always need to come from the manufacturer. Sometimes you can get your answer faster and better from fellow drawing tablet user that is also a tech geek in online forum. So, check also if a brand is popular enough to have this kind of users.
4. Size: Size is important, and it’s not just about the comfort of drawing in bigger area.
Some people may have difficulty adjusting the size of the picture they draw with the picture they see on screen. This may mess up the proportion of the drawing, make it feels like there’s something off about the picture. If you’re like this, your best option is to choose the drawing tablet with size as close as your screen.
If you’re very mobile, larger size can be unpractical and tedious. However, drawing on too small surface is not comfortable as well. Of course, how small is too small is relative, so make sure you know at what size you’re most comfortable with.
5. Brand: Some people may disregard brand. It isn’t really correlated with the tablet’s function or feature. But, in buying electronic goods including drawing tablet, paying attention to brand can help you make your final decision.
Popular and big brand like Wacom has advantages of having the largest market share. This means, you’ll have no problem finding this product wherever you are. Finding its spare part and accessories are easier as well.
You can meet many designers who use the same brand and can exchange various tips on solving certain problem, or how to use some tricks.
However, smaller brand like Huion also has advantages. You can find cheaper product with the same feature, because you don’t have to pay for the brand itself.
6. Price: Some designers may not consider price when they buy drawing tablet. As long as it’s good, they don’t mind spending hundreds or thousand bucks.
We’re not saying to buy the cheapest drawing tablet. What we want is for you to get as much benefit as possible from a product for every dollar you spent.
By taking price into consideration, you can pick which drawing tablet is more valuable. You can avoid paying too much for aspect other than quality.
Choosing the best drawing tablet is hard, because you won’t get the real experience until after you use it. Understand your needs, your drawing style, and your preference, then use them as strict criterions to find the drawing tablet of your dream.
If you do this, you’ll be able to screen all the options into smaller number of choice. What you need to do after this is simply visit whichbest.org and compare the candidates side by side. You’ll be able to see one’s strength and weakness over the other easily, and make your decision soundly.
No matter if you’re a beginner looking for your first drawing tablet or professional whose paycheck depends on the quality of your work, choosing new drawing tablet is a big deal. Consider your criteria carefully and make your comparison.
Good luck finding your perfect drawing tablet.